● New panel discussions announced - Lifestyle: How tech is improving
day-to-day life across the world + eCommerce: Has China set the standard for global retail?
● Digital Dialogue is the overarching theme for the 2018 Summit, providing a platform to debate how the latest developments in technology are shaping finance, politics, education and daily life
● Leading international organisations speaking at the forum include Bank of America Merrill Lynch China, Virgin Money, Ctrip, Lennar International, Trinity Group, Fosun Foundation, Country Garden
● 12 executive level representatives of Fortune 500 companies will be speaking
● Full details on the Sino British Summit and speakers can be found at: https://sinobritishsummit-en.org
Prime Minister Theresa May has lent her support to the Sino British Summit as the full programme for the second edition of the summit is announced.
More than 25 distinguished speakers from the UK and China will participate in six panel discussions across the two-day event. New panels on eCommerce ‘Has China set the standard for global retail?’ and lifestyle ‘How tech is improving day-to-day life across the world’ have completed the agenda for the summit at the Rosewood Hotel on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th March 2018.
As part of a message of support for the Sino British Summit, Prime Minister Theresa May said: “The UK’s Industrial Strategy focuses on the importance of emerging technologies and I am therefore delighted to see that the theme of this year’s Sino British Summit is ‘Digital Dialogue.’ I have no doubt that this Summit will prove to be a valuable opportunity to build connections and start conversations between UK and Chinese businesses and entrepreneurs, taking the UK-China relationship from strength to strength.”
The Sino British Summit was created in 2017 by young Chinese and British leaders with the aim of sparking conversation and cooperation between the UK and China. The Summit will provide a neutral platform that encourages open dialogue among the current and future stakeholders in the Sino British relationship, covering politics, finance, education and daily life.
Ryan Li, Founder and Director of the Sino British Summit said: “China and the UK are well established partners who share a long history in trade, history and cultural exchange. Both countries are tech powerhouses, pioneering new ways of doing things in the digital age. The Sino British Summit was created as a platform to discuss and debate these opportunities and developments and we are delighted to have such a broad range of distinguished speakers on board to lead that conversation.”
Six panel discussions will take place over the two days:
● The future of FinTech: UK and China
● Educational development in a digital age
● Digital technology’s influence on global politics
● Generation wired - how ‘always on’ digital is shaping lives globally
● Lifestyle: How tech is improving day-to-day life across the world
● eCommerce: Has China set the standard for global retail?
Speaking about the newly announced eCommerce panel, Ray Clacher, Vice President from Trinity Group said: “As our Prime Minister made perfectly clear during her recent trip to Beijing, Britain currently has the greatest opportunity its had in 40 years to to be able to strike independent trade deals and China will undoubtedly become our primary trade partner.
As someone who has lived and worked in Greater China and developed a retail network of over 300 stores, I believe there has never been a better time for British Brands. The speed of change in China is breathtaking and leapfrogging the rest of the world in rapid change and embracing all new ways of trading. But there is also a massive demand for honest, authentic brand stories and Britain has this in spades.”
Maria Sun, Chief Operating Officer, Ctrip, who will be speaking on the lifestyle panel said: “Ctrip is making an initial move towards internationalisation and the UK is one of the most important locations for us strategically. We are looking forward to taking part in the Sino British Summit and to exploring different ways in which China can work with Britain.”
The Summit’s board of directors has an average age of 21 and as such has a keen interest in the Chinese and British education systems and the students who will one day shape the Sino-British relationship. Speaking about the education panel, Caroline Wright, Director General of the British Educational Suppliers Association, said: “Over the last two decades, I have been pleased to note the increased importance of the role of the education sector in international trade. The UK’s Education is GREAT campaign has had a fantastic impact on our education sector, and UK education has never before been in such high demand around the world.
“I am therefore delighted that the Sino British Summit will provide a forum to discuss education. After accompanying the Prime Minister, Theresa May, on her visit to China earlier this month, I witnessed first-hand how much our two countries already work together, and how much there is scope to further strengthen our links in the education and EdTech sectors, benefiting from the ‘golden era’ of the UK-China relations that we are currently enjoying.”
Sino British Summit panels and speakers include:
The future of FinTech: UK and China
● Margaret Ren - Executive President and Chairman, Bank of America Merrill Lynch China
● Glen Moreno - Chairman, Virgin Money
● Ian Hood - Head of Digital, Member of Executive Committee UK, Fidelity International
● Jeff Cao - Head of Asia Pacific, London and Partners
● Minister. Jiang Su Nan - Minister Councillor of Technology, Chinese Embassy
● Mr. Michael Kuan - Chairman, Kuan Capital
Moderator: Mr. James Kynge - Emerging market editor, Financial Times
Educational development in a digital age
● Caroline Wright - Director General, British Education Supplier Association
● Charles Conn - Global CEO, Oxford Rhodes Trust
● Alexander Chen - Vice President, Bright Scholar Education Group
● Tony Little - Chief Academic Officer, GEMS Education Group
Digital technology’s influence on global politics
● Dr. Tang Beijie - Deputy Secretary General, Center of China and Globalization
● Rupert Hammond Chambers - President, US-Taiwan Business Council
● Professor Daya Thussu - Co-Director of India Media Center, University of Westminster
Moderator: George Parker - Political Editor, Financial Times
Generation wired - how ‘always on’ digital is shaping lives globally
● Sammy Tang - Secretary General, Pitch@Palace China
● Vincent Dassault - Philanthropist, Founder & CEO
● Tony Gao - Co Founder and CEO, Easy Transfer, Forbes 30s Under 30 Asia
● Rambo Shyy - Young leader, actor
● Dr. Tang Beijie - Deputy Secretary General, Center for China Globalisation
● Susan Zhu - Founder, Shanghai Treasure Carbon
Lifestyle - how technology is improving daily life across the world
● Ding Ying - CEO and Chairman, Beijing Qiaowai Group
● Chris Marlin - President, Lennar International
● Ray Clacher - Executive Vice President, Trinity Group
● Li Hai Feng - Fosun Global Partner, Senior Vice President, Fosun Foundation Director General
● Maria Sun - Chief Operating Officer, Ctrip
E-Commerce - how China is setting standards for global retail
● Ray Clacher - Executive Vice President, Trinity Group
● Tao Jinzhou - Managing Partner, Dechert LLP
● Wang Xiao Hua - Founding Partner, United Capital
Moderator: Nina Trentmann – News Editor, Wall Street Journal
Tickets and full details on the Sino-British Summit are available via:
NOTES TO EDITORS
About the Sino British Summit
The Sino British Summit was founded in 2016 as a non-profit organization that promotes the exchange of cultural and business investment between the UK and China. The Summit is politically neutral and works to provide platforms, not directions, for debate. Our commitment is to the current and future stakeholders within the Sino British relationship, and we therefore ensure that our events, scholarships and services adhere to the highest organizational standards in both the UK and China.
Full details on the Sino British Summit and speakers can be found here: https://sinobritishsummit-en.org/
Tickets are available via https://sino-british-summit-2018.eventbrite.co.uk
About the Sino British Summit Scholarship
The Sino British Summit has always placed education and opportunities for young people at the centre of its work. With an average age of 21 on the Summit’s Board of Directors, the Summit team has a keen interest in the Chinese and British students who will one day shape the Sino-British relationship in an increasingly interconnected world. The Summit has grown considerably in its first year, enabling the board to establish the Sino British Summit Scholarship, which aims to break down the social and financial barriers that limit bright young students from reaching their full potential. With the support of the Summit’s Partners and Patrons, the Scholarship makes it easier for students to pursue a well-rounded education by providing university scholarships, internship maintenance bursaries and research grants.
Find out more on the Sino British Summit website: https://sinobritishsummit-en.org/the-sino-british-summit-scholarship/